According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s commonly connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.
Why is CO2 awareness so important?
Not to be overly dramatic, but understanding the causes and ways to prevent excessive CO2 exposure is a matter of life and death. CO2 is tops when ranking leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Severe poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
So what can you do?
- If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can phone Gordon's Service Experts to purchase one today.
- If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.