There are a multitude of fumes that could be inside your Oklahoma City home. Natural gas and fumes that derive from home fixtures, carpeting and paints. None of them are as threatening as carbon monoxide.
Get in touch with Gordon's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 405-432-2197 now to get started shielding your residence against this dangerous gas.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so Bad?
Carbon monoxide may be a life and death situation, so it’s not a thing to take lightly.
1. You Can’t Smell It
Carbon monoxide is hazardous because you cannot observe it, smell it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It’s nonirritating in little concentrations and can’t be filtrated.
2. It Can Be Lethal After Only Minutes
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burnt fuel. It can leak into your home during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace breaks. Based on how big the leak is and the airflow in a home, carbon monoxide may become fatal in only a few minutes.
Once inhaled, the gas has a half-life of about five hours. If you are breathing pure air, you will need five hours to get it out of your body. It requires another five hours to cut that level by half.
3. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Can Act Like Other Illnesses
The gas can also mirror conditions that can be mistaken as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.
How to Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide
There’s no reason to gamble with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are three ways you can take to keep your residence safe:
- Your house with at least one gas furnace, attached garage or fireplace should have a carbon monoxide system. You should have a sensor on all levels of your house, on top of the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home?
Call Gordon's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 405-432-2197 to get one. Ask our Experts about our affordable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
- If you currently have a carbon monoxide alarm, frequently check or replace the batteries. You should look at batteries every three months, and buy a new system every three to five years.
- If your carbon monoxide sensor sounds, get out of your residence immediately and call 911.
Keep Your Family Safe with Help from Gordon's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be frightening, and with the recommended actions your residence can be protected from the dangerous gas. Make the proper changes and call Gordon's Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 405-432-2197 to learn more.