Every year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Gordon's Service Experts is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Put in a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, at least three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally examined and cleaned annually.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your fall tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Gordon's Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 405-432-2197 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.