One of the most basic concerns that we encounter at Gordon's Service Experts in Oklahoma City is dusty air filters. They can seem like a very insignificant piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a number of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you might encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the largest issue you’ll notice when your home’s air filter is badly clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Reduced energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any possible damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters we have, give Gordon's Service Experts a call at 405-432-2197 or schedule an appointment online.