Prevention is the most crucial step. Taking appropriate safety precautions will lower your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Oklahoma City.
Here are several steps you can take to protect your family:
- Heat up your car away from your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours going in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These items are safe when used right but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a specialist. This ensures chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected properly.
- Check gas appliances are running correctly, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe heating by scheduling annual furnace maintenance with Gordon's Service Experts.