What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Prevention is the most important step. Taking appropriate safety precautions will lower your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Oklahoma City.

Here are several steps you can take to protect your family:

  • Heat up your car away from your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours going in the small space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These items are safe when used right but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extensive period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, since it creates fumes.
  • Have your chimney examined by a pro. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected properly.
  • Verify gas appliances are working correctly, particularly your heater. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe operation by scheduling annual furnace maintenance with Gordon's Service Experts.