If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak can include the following:
- The smell of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances attached to the gas line, such as gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or discolored grass, plants or other vegetation
- People in the house complaining about symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you are encountering any of these signs and are worried they are due to a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately, followed by your utility company.
Sometimes the utility company will take care of a gas leak, but in a lot of cases the homeowner is on the hook. Luck for you, the experts at Gordon's Service Experts are fully trained to install or repair gas lines and we pride ourselves on getting the job done correctly, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work is backed with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER TRY AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a lot of things to do around the house that homeowners want to take on by themselves, gas line repair needs to be left up to the professionals. It is the only way to ensure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Oklahoma City codes.
From adding gas lines for a new stove or oven to repairing gas lines for a heater in your garage, Gordon's Service Experts’s experiences in the industry have allowed us to take on a number of gas line projects in the Oklahoma City community, so no job is too big or too small for our experts.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As noted before, the first thing you need to do if you are nervous about a gas leak is exit your home and then call 911 immediately. After emergency responders are coming your way, get ahold of your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have made sure there is no danger, call Gordon's Service Experts to schedule a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, need to be taken very seriously. Ensure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 promptly if you’re ever concerned about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide doesn’t have an odor and isn’t easily detected. The EPA recommends the following steps to decrease exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances safely adjusted.
- Invest in and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a well-versed professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and fix any leaks immediately.
For more pointers on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, check out our blog.